Second run wasn't possible, says R Ashwin


So, what was your approach in the last half-an-hour?

It kept changing all the time. When Virat was at the crease, he was looking for the shots and my job was to give to give him company. Once he got out, the scenario changed. I was expectingIshant to play out the penultimate over, but that didn't happen. The final over, with three to get, was really a tensed affair and my first job was to ensure that we didn't lose the match.

But why didn't you run just run for the second run off the last ball?

As I finished the first run, I saw the ball crossing over my head. I knew that there was no way I could reach the other end on time. So I put the bat in, completed the first run properly, and made an effort for the second. Unfortunately, it wasn't possible to reach the other end.

Does it hurt that you haven't ended on the winning side after such a brilliant Test match?

We have given it our best. It would have been fantastic if we had ended on a winning note, but then, I will take that. The final day's action was really out of the top draw.

It was an excellent morning session when you and Pragyan Ojha ran through West Indies. Did you think the game could on its head like this?

We had decided to stick to our task. There was something for us in the wicket on the final day and we complemented each other well. Pragyan got the first five and I chipped in with a few in the back end. We have bowled well together in this series and will look forward to doing it in the future as well.

You showed your batting talents on Friday with a wonderful century. Will you be considering yourself as an all-rounder from now on?

I work on my batting very hard and try to keep improving all the time. But I am not interested in tags. My job is to contribute to the team's cause and I am happy doing that.

Twenty-two wickets in three Tests, you must be on the top of the world right now?

This series has been quite wonderful and it's yet to sink in. But this is only the beginning of the journey and I don't want to take anything for granted.

Australia in Australia will be a different kettle of fish altogether. Are you looking forward to leading the spin attack there?

Before that, there are five ODIs against West Indies and I am concentrating on that for the moment. I know the Australian series will be a challenge, but I will take it as it comes.

Courtesy : TOI

Comments