Einstein refused lifesaving surgery



Click here to view the Original Image Size
Einstein was one of the great minds of the past few centuries. However, despite how his discoveries contributed to technology, he didn't always use it when it was available to him. In fact, when Einstein was on his death bed and modern medicine could have saved him, he refused it.
In April 1955, Einstein experienced an abdominal aortic aneurysm and began to bleed internally. He was taken to the hospital where doctors recommended he have surgery. Einstein refused and said, "I want to go when I want. It is tasteless to prolong life artificially. I have done my share, it is time to go. I will do it elegantly."

He died at 76 at Princeton Hospital. The doctor performing his autopsy removed Einstein's brain without permission, hoping that studying it would reveal why Einstein was so intelligent.

Comments