Ten years ago, on this day, MS Dhoni made his international debut for India in an ODI against Bangladesh at Chittagong. He didn't have the best of starts as he was run out for a first ball duck but then he got into the groove and shattered records. Here are some unbelievable records and numbers associated with MS Dhoni:
- Dhoni holds the unique distinction of leading India to most wins across all three formats – Tests, ODIs and Twenty20 Internationals. He is the only captain to do so in all the three formats. He also has the highest win percentage as an Indian captain in Tests and ODIs. (Tests - 27 wins, ODIs - 93 wins, T20Is - 26 wins) (Win % - 56.02 % in ODIs, 45.76% in Tests)
- Dhoni is the only captain to lead India in more than 50 Tests (59). The next on the list in Sourav Ganguly with 49.
- Dhoni is the most successful captain in the T20Is across countries. He has won the most number of matches as a captain - 26. The next in the list is William Porterfield of Ireland with 20 wins.
- Dhoni currently possesses the highest score by a wicketkeeper-batsman in ODIs - 183* which he scored against Sri Lanka at Jaipur in 2005.
- Dhoni is the only captain to score a century at no. 7 in ODIs. He achieved this feat in 2012 when he scored 113* off 125 balls against Pakistan in Chennai. He also has the highest score by a no.7 in ODIs - 139 for Asia XI against Africa XI in Chennai in 2007.
- Dhoni holds the Indian record of most dismissals as a wicketkeeper in both Tests, ODIs and T20Is (285 in Tests, 306 in ODIs, 36 in T20Is)
- Dhoni is the only Indian wicketkeeper to have scored a double century in Tests. He achieved this feat against Australia in 2013 in Chennai where he scored 224 off 265 balls. In doing so, he also registered the highest individual score by an Indian captain in Tests.
- Dhoni holds the record of fastest century by an Indian wicketkeeper in Tests. He achieved this feat against Pakistan in Faisalabad in 2006 where is scored his maiden Test century off just 93 balls. Overall, he is the third fastest in test cricket by a wicketkeeper/batsman.
- As a captain, Dhoni holds a record for longest unbeaten run in tests from his debut, 11 tests (8 wins and 3 draws).
- Dhoni averages a staggering 103 in successful run chases in ODIs. This is the best average amongst the players to have scored a minimum of 1000 runs in successful run chases.He has scored two centuries and 14 fifties in successful run chases.
- Dhoni is the only captain to have bagged all three ICC trophies. In 2007 won the World T20; in 2011, he lifted the World Cup and in 2013, he won the Champions Trophy. He also the lifted the ICC Test championship mace in 2009.
- Dhoni is level with Kumar Sangakkara with most number of stumpings in international cricket - 133.
#DhoniRetires , Cricket