T Nagar is named after (Pitti) Thyagaraja

T Nagar is named after (Pitti) Thyagaraja, the first elected President of Madras Corporation. He was the first man to open free Municipal Schools in Madras. In 1920, five schools were opened and free mid day meal was introduced in the school at Thousand Lights. That way he is the pioneer for Kamarajar Aiya and MGR Aiya.

Click here to view the Original Image Size

During "Thathu" year famine in 1876, his family provided food to the poor for Three Months and the then British Governor appreciated this Gesture. Thrice he got the opportunity to become the Chief Minister of Madras Province but he refused.